Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Free Press

The Empowerment Zone has now been featured in the prestigious Atlantic Ave magazine. The Atlantic Ave magazine is a glossy local Delray Beach publication that features mostly upscale features on the area. (Publication price $4.99.) The magazine is not really targeted at the kinds of people I tend to get in the EZ, but free press is free press. Seeing my name on the same page as a cosmetic surgeon's ad, and in a publication that has ads for Mercedes, jewelers and restaurants I can't afford is a bit odd. But if the right people see the article, and come to the library for our resources, then that would be great.

The Drug Abuse Foundation (DFA) of Delray Beach is interested in bringing their clients to the Empowerment Zone to look for jobs, and to brush up on their job skills. This partnership would be right in line for what I had envisioned for the Zone. And since the DFA solicited me, that makes my job easier! Delray Beach is known as the recovery capitol of America, and we get many AA and NA participants in the library. I will try to help anyone who comes to the EZ, as long as they are serious and are trying to better themselves, regardless of their background.

No comments:

Post a Comment