Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Empowerment Zone Sign

Today I picked up a huge sign from Fast Signs in Lake Worth for the EZ. It simply says Empowerment Zone in over 5 inch letters. It came with suction cups so that I can stick it on the glass walls of the Tech Center every Monday and Thursday when the Zone is in session. I tested it out today, and you can really see it even from way over where our ref desk is. I am going to put it up tomorrow even though the EZ isn't open as I am hoping to generate some questions and get some interest. I plan on shooting some pictures on Thursday to use for my presentation at the SSLLI graduation. I will post them on here. Today I did one of my last assignments for the SSLLI, and when that is done I am considering posting it on here since it is all about the EZ.

I just added up the EZ stats for June and 36 total patrons used the EZ. This is down from 44 in May. Not bad if you consider June is a big vacation month, and we had help last month from the housing lotto. I would really like to switch one day to the afternoon in August, but since we are starting up our computer classes then, I am not sure it will be possible.

Finally, last week's PBCLA election did not go to the underdog. Me being the underdog. I was thoroughly trounced by two library directors, but did manage to get at least some votes from others outside of my library. I now have the distinction of being the first person to lose a PBCLA election, since in every other election the candidates ran unopposed. So, this is at least some notoriety, and I plan on running in the future and being more active at future meetings. I still plan on helping with the web site and I posted a few things there yesterday. Congratulations to those who won, and I will continue to help out the organization in any way I can. I think the worst thing about losing was that I was 150 miles away in Cocoa at my last SSLLI session and therefore I couldn't even vote for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment